What I am Thankful for.....

"It is a good thing, to give thanks unto the Lord" Psalm 92:1

I decided to make a list of all the things that I am thankful for regarding Sadie. Instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself (like I am doing), I decided I need to focus on all of the wonderful things that I remember. Sadie was a gift from God, a gift that I will cherish forever!!!

What I am thankful for:

1. I first and foremost, am thankful #1 to God, for giving me a love for horses and the ability and gifts to work with them, and #2 to my parents for letting me grow up, having horses, and most of all Sadie. Thank you mom and dad!!!! I love you both more than words can say. Lots of little girls love horses, but not many actually get to grow up with them.

2. I am thankful that 21 years ago, we went to look at a Palomino gelding in Monroe, Iowa. Because he was already sold, the man showed us a little blue roan pony mare. I will forever have the image stamped in my head, of the first time I laid eyes on her. She was tied up, and very fidgety and scared. She wasn't treated well the first 6 years of her life. I had my friend, Jenny with me. We rode her and I really liked her. My mom said no, she is too high-spirited. But I wanted her, so my dad got her for me. The man told us she had no name, and we didn't want to know what they called her. So I named her Sadie Mae.

3. I am thankful for Sadie, I am thankful for the bond I had with her, and that she was high-spirited. She was a blast to ride, and taught me how to ride. She never ever bucked or reared or anything. But I fell off her plenty of times. She could be under me one second, and then standing next to me in the blink of an eye. She liked to jump sideways if she spooked, and if I wasn't prepared- off I went. LOL!

4. I am thankful for all the times and memories I have of going off and riding through the cornfields near where we lived. A lot of the time, it was just me and Sadie. I CHERISH those times.

5. I am thankful for my friends that had horses, and all the memories we made with our horses. I remember riding through what is now Copper Creek and going through the Pleasant Hill Hardees drive-thru many times. My friends and I also rode to Granny's on Hubbell. Fun fun memories.

6. I am thankful for the lives that Sadie touched. All the kids that took rides on her, or fed her, or hugged her. The most recent was just a couple short weeks ago, we took her to church for the "Pet Parade" class.  She made each and every child who ever came in contact with her,  feel special!! 

7. I am thankful that I was able to be in 4-H. I had SO much fun showing Sadie in 4-H. The Polk County fair was my absolute FAVORITE time of year! Sadie always did well at the fair, and the only horse that could beat us was Chip and Shari. She was FAST!! I loved to take her out in the cornfields after they were harvested and just RUN. Sadie loved to RUN!! It was her favorite thing to do.
8. I am thankful for the 12 years I spent with her before my parents decided to move. I was not living at home anymore, was married and Christopher was 1. They built a house in Altoona, and so I had to sell the horses. We could not afford to board them. This was a gut-wrenching decision. I prayed and prayed for a solution. I did NOT want to sell Sadie.


9. I am thankful I ran into Cindy Iseminger at Wal-mart during the time I was agonizing about selling Sadie. I am thankful I mentioned to her that my parents are moving, and I had to sell Sadie. She said she knew of a family that Sadie might be a good fit for. So we exchanged phone numbers.

10. I am so thankful that the McEuen's were interested in Sadie, and took a gamble and trusted me. They were told by someone else, that Sadie was crazy and reared all the time, etc etc etc(this person was trying to sell them a horse). I assured them she had never done such a thing, and I told them they could take her and try her out before committing. It didn't take long, and they were in love with her also.
11. I am thankful for Nicky McEuen, who loved my pony as much as I did.

12. I am thankful that we were able to go and watch Nicky show Sadie at the County Fair. She won lots of game classes with Sadie, and they were a great team!!! I really enjoyed watching her and Sadie ride. I could not have picked a better family to have Sadie when I couldn't. They will always hold a special place in my heart also.

13. I am thankful that God gave us this acreage. I am thankful that the McEuens were willing to let us buy Sadie back.

14. I am so thankful that Christopher loved Sadie and bonded with her, and she taught my child how to ride so well. I am also so thankful that my younger two boys fell in love with Sadie too. They loved to go out and pet her, brush her, and feed her treats. They learned so much from her.

15. I am thankful that God granted me the one wish that was so important to me. It was like a full circle moment for me, that Christopher was able to show Sadie this year at the 2010 Polk County Fair. It was so special to me, to think, that my horse that meant the world to me, and that I had SO much fun showing at the County Fair, was now at the fair again, but being shown by my son. She was shown in the Polk County fair from 1989-1997, then again from 2001-2008 and again in 2010. She attended 16 County Fairs. I wonder if that is a record for the same horse at the same county fair????

16. I am so thankful that Sadie never ever had one health issue. She was never sick, never colicky, never had hoof issues, and she didn't have any issues while with the McEuen's that I am aware of.

17. I am thankful that we were able to show her in the last 2 years, as much as we did. Christopher slowly improved, but really made huge leaps this summer with her. Her speed made him nervous, so he held her back a lot while running the games. But this last time we showed her, (October 2nd and 3rd) just a few short weeks ago, was the best he'd ever done. He gave her the room to run, and RUN she did!! She was having a blast, and I received so much JOY out of watching them ride. On Sept. 12th, we went to Nevada, Iowa and he did awesome there too. They won 1st place in the Keyhole event, and he won a trophy. He was beyond excited about that!!!

18. I am thankful that she was happy and healthy up until the end. I did not want her to be in any pain, or suffer in any way.

19. I am glad I was able to hold her head as she took her last breaths! I am thankful I was able to tell her how much we love her, and how special she is!! I told her how much the McEuens love her, and thanked her for being the best horse that has ever lived!!

20. I am thankful for all of the friends I have, who are praying for us, and who understand the pain we feel!! She was not "just a horse", but a best friend, loyal confidant, and trusted companion!

21. I am thankful for many more things that if I wrote them down, this would turn into a novel.(More than it already is)

Sadie lived a LONG healthy life. She was full of life and spirit. She was a loyal and trusted friend. In the last 6 months, my younger two sons rode her a lot too. It is like she knew the age and riding ability of who was on her back. She was so gentle with them, and would walk very slow. She was watching out for them too.

You see, as I look back on her life, I see how God orchestrated all things and occurrences in her life. He created her, and he cared for her also.

I am SO thankful that God's plan for my life, included Sadie Mae. A little blue roan pony, that it seems like we saved from the not so nice men, where we bought her from. But really, she saved me. She brought me happiness and joy. She was there for me in times of sadness and disappointment. She gave freely to me, and to Nicky and to Christopher, Spencer and Ethan. It is said, that every horse, deserves at least once in its life, to be loved by a child. Sadie was truly special, for she was not loved by one child, but by 5. We all love you Sadie Mae!!! You will be GREATLY missed and never forgotten!!!! 

SADIE MAE~
1983-October 19,2010

Comments

  1. Beautiful testimony Amanda. It made me remember my horse Camanche and how much I loved him. I'll have to tell you about him sometime. May God grant you peace and comfort. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I am so proud of you sweety, I love you so much and my heart aches with yours but God is good and he will give you grace and comfort. I watched you love Sadie Mae from the first day until her last day. You rescued Sadie from a life of unknown treatment to a best friend who loved and cared for her. She was part of our family and always will be. This is a great testimony and Sadie Mae could be made into a movie. This is a great real life story of love and friendship and companionship that passed on to another generation. Thanks for sharing your heart with us and God will bless you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda just found this page and cried my eyes out I was so lucky to get to know said and love her with all my heart
    Thank you so much for sharing her

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Measuring Up As a Mom

Just Beginning